Monday 30 June 2014

The Secret Diary Of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick

Synopsis (from Goodreads

My thanks goes to Netgalley and Touchstone for providing me with this e-ARC.

Pages: 400
Publisher: Touchstone
Released: 1st of July 2014

Twenty-four-year-old grad student Lizzie Bennet is saddled with student loan debt and still living at home along with her two sisters-beautiful Jane and reckless Lydia. When she records her reflections on life for her thesis project and posts them on YouTube, she has no The Lizzie Bennet Diaries will soon take on a life of their own, turning the Bennet sisters into internet celebrities seemingly overnight.

When rich and handsome Bing Lee comes to town, along with his stuck-up friend William Darcy, things start to get interesting for the Bennets--and for Lizzie;s viewers. But not everything happens on-screen. Lucky for us, Lizzie has a secret diary.

What I Have To Say

I think that my opinion of this book can be seen by the 61 highlights that I made on my nook. I'm not often one to highlight or write down quotes, although I'm trying to get into the habit, so having 1 highlight is something special, let alone 61. 

I think that the thing I liked the most was how strong the voices were. I thought that they might feel a little less real, compared to the videos, but as soon as I opened the first page Lizzie's voice was just straight in my head. Admittedly, I spent most of the book trying to watch the videos along with the book (which I highly recommend as a great way to read it), but even when I was away from the computer the voices were so strong, even the characters we don't see in the videos. 

What I liked about the book compared to the videos was that it was that it was so much more detailed. There's so much in there that we didn't get to hear about in the videos and other background stuff that make it feel even more real. Also, we saw a lot more of Lizzie's course and occasionally she spoke like a Mass Media Student, which we don't see so much of in the videos. 

The book just reminded me how much I loved the videos. It was funny, intelligent, heartbreaking and full of scenes to make you swoon (or you know, have a stupid gooey smile while reading). I got absorbed in it in just the same way as I did the videos, it didn't even matter that I'd seen them before. And it made a wonderful companion to read along with the videos.

I could think of  a million things to say about the book and the diaries and still never manage it. It's really just something you need to experience yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment