Monday 1 June 2015

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley

Synopsis (From Goodreads

Pages: 336
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Released: 2nd of July 2015

London, 1884. When Thaniel Steepleton comes home to find a new watch on his pillow, he has bigger things to worry about than generous burglars; he is a telegraphist at the Home Office, where he has just received a Fenian bomb threat. But six months later, the watch saves his life in a blast that destroys Scotland Yard, and at last, he goes in search of its maker. 

He meets Keita Mori, a Japanese immigrant who remembers the future. As Mori begins to tweak daily life in Thaniel’s favour, everything seems to be going well – until physicist Grace Carrow, attracted to Thaniel’s refreshingly direct, unstuffy nature, unwittingly interferes. Soon, events spiral beyond Thaniel’s control, and nothing is certain any more…

What I Have to Say 

I want to squeal and tell everyone about this book, which I loved so much and not just because of the adorable clockwork Octopus, Katsu (I want one!). I really enjoyed Thaniel's voice and the interesting phenomenon of him being able to see sounds as colours. Keita was also so adorable. He was so sweet towards the start! Of course anyone who's read the book know that changes because his name does not mean "forest" (sorry but mori is not "trees" as it says in the book but 森 which is "forest"). 

The ending was thrilling. There was so much excitement and tension that I didn't want to put it down! I really loved the battle of minds between Grace and Keita! 

But more than anything I think this book got me interested more in clockwork and what could be done with it. I knew that the Victorians could do an awful lot with clockwork but I've never really thought about quite how clever they were. I almost wish that electricity hadn't been invented because the developments would be incredible now. Although I suppose it helps if you can remember the future... 

Everyone must to read this book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment