Saturday 8 April 2017

Girls Can't Hit by T.S Easton

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 267
Publisher: Hot Key Books 
Released: 20th of April 2017 

Fleur Waters never takes anything seriously - until she turns up at her local boxing club one day, just to prove a point. She's the only girl there, and the warm-up alone is exhausting . . . but the workout gives her an escape from home and school, and when she lands her first uppercut on a punching bag she feels a rare glow of satisfaction.

So she goes back the next week, determined to improve. Fleur's overprotective mum can't abide the idea of her entering a boxing ring, why won't she join her pilates class instead? Her friends don't get it either and even her boyfriend, 'Prince' George, seems concerned by her growing muscles and appetite - but it's Fleur's body, Fleur's life, so she digs her heels in and carries on with her training.

What I Have to Say 

This is the sort of book that even if you have no prior interest in boxing will make you want to start. T. S Easton is great at humour and feminism. I enjoyed Boys Don't Knit immensely, so I knew I would feel the same about Girls Can't hit, but I feel that sometimes his characters are a bit dumb. I know it's meant to be funny when someone confuses Celine Dion with Joan of Arc, and I'm sure that people exist who do, but for me it just makes me feel secondhand embarrassment. I much preferred her mixing up the dates. 

Other than that, Fleur was a great character. She and her friends felt really real and easy to relate to. Her journey to discover boxing and how to stand up for what she wants rather than just go with the flow was a great one and I think every young girl should read it. 

I also wish I could be a fit as she came to be. Easton's description of the way her body and health was refined by the exercise was truly inspiring. As I said, it'll make anyone want to pick up the boxing gloves and get as fit and healthy as she did. 


My thanks go to Netgalley and Hot Key Books for providing me with this copy for review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment