Monday 12 February 2018

Sunflowers in February by Phyllida Shrimpton

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 384
Publisher: Hot Key Books 
Released: 8th of February 2018 

Lily wakes up one crisp Sunday morning on the side of the road. She has no idea how she got there. It is all very peaceful. and very beautiful. It is only when the police car, and then the ambulance arrive, and she sees her own body, that she realises that she is in fact... dead. But what is she supposed do now? Lily has no option but to follow her body and see her family – her parents and her twin brother start falling apart. And then her twin brother Ben gives her a once in a deathtime opportunity - to use his own body for a while. But will Lily give Ben his body back? She is beginning to have a rather good time...

What I Have to Say 

This was a weird book, but I enjoyed it in most parts. Lily was a realistic teenager, cut from life too soon and desperate to just live one more day. So though she treats Ben terribly and is really selfish and immature, you can really see why. so even though her decisions annoyed me sometimes, I understood them completely. 

I was really sad, especially in the first part where Lily is just following her family around. Though I felt it lost it's feeling after Lily gets to live again inside Ben's body. Though I was worried about Ben, I felt the emotion and sadness that was captured so well in the start of the book. 

So, really I was a bit disappointed as the book went on. I enjoyed it all. It definitely wasn't a bad read, but I feel that it could have been so much better. 

It's worth reading. It shows the feelings of grief and terror of being dead so well that you could imagine it's real. It just wasn't as moving as I thought it would be. 



My thanks go to Netgalley and Hot Key Books for providing me with this copy for review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment