Wednesday 29 May 2019

Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 385 
Publisher: Wednesday Books 
Released: 2nd of April 2019 

A girl who can speak to gods must save her people without destroying herself.

A prince in danger must decide who to trust.

A boy with a monstrous secret waits in the wings. 

Together, they must assassinate the king and stop the war.

In a centuries-long war where beauty and brutality meet, their three paths entwine in a shadowy world of spilled blood and mysterious saints, where a forbidden romance threatens to tip the scales between dark and light. Wicked Saints is the thrilling start to Emily A. Duncan’s devastatingly Gothic Something Dark and Holy trilogy.. 

What I Have to Say 

This had a lot of potential, but I didn't feel the hype as much as some of the other bloggers who've talked about it seem to. I think it has enough in it that it could become an amazing series, so I want to give the next book a chance. For now though, it just fell completely flat. 

I did like a lot of elements of the book. I liked the implications that the gods are not quite what they seem. How much question there was about who was really good and who was really bad. It did well about exploring the grey areas with Nadya and Serefin, both on different sides of the war but doing the best they can. 

Like I said, this series has a lot of potential and I think it could turn into something amazing. But it's just not there yet. I'll be interested to see how the next book goes. 



My thanks go to Netgalley and Wednesday Books for providing me with this copy for review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment