Monday 4 July 2022

Hexed by Julia Tuffs

Pages: 400

Publisher: Orion Children's Group 

Released: 8th July  2022 

Sabrina the Teenage Witch meets Sex Education - Jessie Jones has just discovered she's a witch. Too bad there isn't a hex to make slimy Callum Henderson and his friends disappear ... yet. A feisty, funny YA series about discovering your place and your power.

New girl, new school, new life on stupid island - thanks Mum. All Jessie Jones wants is to keep her head down, avoid school douchebag Callum Henderson, and coast - middle-of-the-road-like. But when strange powers start to manifest during crippling period pains, flying under the radar seems highly unlikely.

Can Jessie embrace her new-found witchiness, control her erratic powers and work out a way to bring down Callum and his cult of toxic masculinity? 

What I Have to Say 

This was such a fun easy read. Classic teenage witch tale, with added feminism! I loved Jessie's character and her voice. It was really easy to get into a just an enjoyable reading experience. I love that she didn't just want to use her powers for personal gain, she wanted to do it to get revenge on the slimy boys who made the school unsafe for all the girls around her! 

The only complaint I had with it was that everything felt too easy. I was waiting for everything to fall apart on her as she was using her powers without thinking of the consequences, I was waiting for her to learn her lesson and swear never to do it again, And there were consequences, but they didn't seem to really sink in and register with her. There wasn't a moment of "oh god what have I done". 

All in all though, I really enjoyed reading it and can't wait for the next. Look out for a review of that one, coming soon! 


My thanks go to Netgalley and Orion Children's Books for sending me this copy for review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment