Friday 24 March 2023

Like a Curse by Elle McNicholl

Pages: 320 

Publisher: Knights Of 

Released: 2nd of February 2023 

Stuck in Loch Ness while Edinburgh falls under the control of a terrifyingly powerful Siren, Ramya Knox is frustrated. She's supposed to be learning magic from her Aunt Opal, but that isn't going as smoothly as she'd hoped. As she pushes to rescue her Hidden Folk friends in the city, long-buried secrets come to light and legends come to life.

Ramya knows she's different; she knows she's a witch. But now she must learn the true meaning of her powers... before all she loves is lost


What I Have to Say 

I loved everything about this book, except for the ending. It was everything I've come to expect from Elle McNicholl. Brave, bold neurodiverse characters, interesting and unexpected plots and for this series all sorts of exciting mythical creatures!! But the ending just let it down completely. I understand why it ended this way from the perspective of things that Ramya needed to learn. But I just don't think it's the right ending for a book of this genre. 

I was so excited to be near Lock Ness! Lock Ness means one thing. The Lock Ness monster. And if you're reading a book about hidden creatures and it's set near Lock Ness then obviously it has to be the Lock Ness Monster, even if all the characters say it doesn't exist. I won't say much about what kind of creature it is, but I will see that I was very happy. 

As always, I loved Elle McNicoll's characters and how neurodiverse they were. I am very happy to see myself represented in these books for my autism and dyspraxia. It means so much to me to see these things. 


4 stars 

My thanks go to Netgalley and Knights Of as well as Ed Pr for providing me with this copy for review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment