Monday 10 April 2023

Forget Me Not by Alyson Derrick

Pages: 320 

Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's UK 

Released: 4th of April 2023 

What would you do if you forgot the love of your life existed?

Stevie and Nora had a love. A secret, epic, once-in-a-lifetime kind of love. They also had a plan: to leave their small, ultra-conservative town and families behind after graduation and move to California, where they could finally stop hiding that love.

But then Stevie has a terrible fall and the last two years of her life are erased overnight. Suddenly Stevie finds herself in a life she doesn’t quite understand – she’s estranged from her parents, drifting away from her friends and dating a boy she can’t remember crushing on. She’s headed towards a future that isn’t at all what her fifteen-year-old self would have envisioned.

And Nora finds herself … forgotten.

Can the two find their way back together through a lost memory?

A romantic ode to the strength of love and the power of choosing each other, against odds and obstacles, again and again.

TW: homophobia, racism, memory loss 

What I Have to Say 

This book was beautiful. The ending was perfect and made me cry so hard. I loved it so much. It was a wonderful story of sapphic love against all odds. Against a backdrop of racism and homophobia, it's about two girls tragically separated by memory loss and having to find each other again. 

I wouldn't like to speak about the medical stuff in the book. I don't know how accurate it is for memory loss and recovery, but it was a really interesting plot device and made for a really good story. It was in a way a coming of age story because it was her finding out that she was gay all over again. 

The only thing that made me pause was the fact that she was Asian. I loved the representation as it's always important to see in all sorts of books, but there was no explanation of her background. I was confused as to whether her parents or her mother were Asian or if she was adopted, because it felt like they fit into the town and there was no talk of them facing racial abuse or anything. It just left me confused about how it all fitted together. 

I really enjoyed it though and would definitely read it again! 


4 stars 

My thanks go to Netgalley and Simon and Schuster for providing me with this copy for review. 



No comments:

Post a Comment