Monday 4 September 2023

Market of Dreams and Destiny by Trip Galey

Pages: 400 

Publisher: Titan

Released: 12th of September 2023 

Enter the bazaar of the bizarre where fate and fortunes are for sale in this high-stakes magical adventure across a London not quite like our own, perfect for fans of Neverwhere and The Night Circus.

Below Covent Garden lies the Untermarkt, where anything and everything has a price: a lover’s first blush, a month of honesty, a wisp of fortune. As a child, Deri was sold to one of the Market’s most powerful merchants. Now, after years of watchful servitude, Deri finally spots a chance to buy not only his freedom but also his place amongst the Market’s elite when he stumbles into the path of a runaway princess desperate to sell her royal destiny.

But news of the missing princess and her wayward destiny spreads. Royal enforcers and Master Merchants alike are after it. Outmanoeuvring them all would all be hard enough had Deri not just also met the love of his life, a young man called Owain, whose employers are using the Market for their own nefarious schemes.

Deri soon finds that the price of selling the royal destiny, making a name for himself, and saving the man he loves is dear. The cost of it all might just change the destiny of London forever.

What I Have to Say 

What I love most about Fae books is how creative they are. Market of Dreams and Destiny was no exception to this. I loved the picture of an alternate Victorian London with magic and deals built into every part of the society. My favourite bit was the bells, which one of the main characters, Deri, can talk to. 

The climax of this book was complicated. With the plot revolving around deals and loopholes exploited, there was a lot of information to pay attention to. It was hard to follow in some places, but I kept up mostly. There was only one part where I got lost and that part I managed to pick up again by the end. Just be warned that this is a book you need to really pay attention to. 

I really really enjoyed this interpretation of the goblin market. As complicated as it was, I haven't seen anyone go this detailed into thinking how it would work or what it would be like before. I have to say this is definitely going on my list of must reads for fae enthusiasts. 


4 stars 

My thanks go to Netgalley and Titan for providing me with this gifted copy for review. 



No comments:

Post a Comment