Friday 18 August 2023

Broken Hearts and Zombie Parts by William Hussey (audiobook)

Pages: 310 

Publisher: Bolinda Audio 

Released: 11th of May 2023 

A Big Gay Rom-Zom-Com with Heart

Jesse Spark has a broken heart and in a few short weeks he'll require major surgery to repair it - which means he only has a month to accomplish two almost-impossible tasks.

1) Shoot his epic zombie movie on a shoestring budget if he has any hope of getting into film school.

2) Fall in love before this surgery lands him with a huge scar - because how will anyone ever fancy him after that?

Sex Education meets Love, Simon - with fake zombies - in this savagely funny gay YA romance about body image, self-acceptance and falling in love, all while shooting a low-budget zombie flick!

Fun, fresh and authentic, this is the feel-good hit of #hotboysummer, perfect for fans of Alice Oseman, Ciara Smyth and Adam Silvera.

What I Have to Say 

This was cute, funny and heart-breaking (no pun intended). It was a sweet story about friendship and making a movie with an underlying story of body issues and coming to terms with surgery. I loved how Jesse's own issues about his surgery scar was mirrored in Morgan's confidence issues. 

The audio was well done, but I couldn't get on with the narrator. It didn't distract from the story at all, but it's definitely not a book that I'll look back on and remember the narrator from. I did like however that he did sound like a teenage boy. I've heard so many audiobooks where the narrator is meant to be in their teens and they sound grown up and it's very off-putting. 

There were a couple of things that put me off the book itself but they were minor. For the most part, I enjoyed it immensely and will look forward to reading more from William Hussey in the future. 


4 stars 

My thanks go to Netgalley and Bolinda Audio for providing me with this gifted copy for review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment