Thursday 29 May 2014

One Wish by Michelle Harrison

Synopsis (from Goodreads

My thanks go to Netgalley and Simon and Schuster for providing me with this e-arc. 

Pages: 346
Publisher: 22nd of May 2014
Released: Simon and Schuster

One wish only, understood? There are rules, so listen good . . .

The Spinney Wicket Wishing Tree can grant your heart’s desire – just wish out loud, or hang a message from its branches. It sounds as though the Wishing Tree is just a sweet old tradition, but Tanya is only too aware how real its magic could be.

Tanya can see fairies, and would love to meet someone else can see them too. When she meets Ratty and his cheeky fairy, Turpin, it seems at last she’s found them. But Ratty has a secret, and a dangerous enemy who'll stop at nothing to get to him.

Tanya must use her one wish to save her new friend - but wishes should be used wisely . . .

What I Have To Say


I adored Michelle Harrison's Thirteen Secrets trilogy so obviously I was excited to read the prequel. And it reminded me exactly why I loved Michelle Harrison's writing. 

This is how to write for young people. Anyone who thinks you have to dumb down writing for thirteen-year-olds needs to read this and see that it's just not true, because it's beautiful and emotional and completely right for the age group. 

It's been a few years now since I read the trilogy, so naturally I was worried that I'd forgotten too much. I had to get to know Tanya again, which luckily wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I settled back into the world really easily.

I think what's really great about Michelle Harrison's writing is that she has all the emotion and peril needed, but alongside is a sense of fun in her writing. She plays with words and ideas a lot, which I think can be seen most clearly by the rhyming speech of the Wishing Tree.

If you haven't read Michelle Harrison's books before then now is a great time to start. One Wish would be a great introduction to the series. And they've just given the books in these new beautiful covers that I'm trying to find an excuse to buy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment