Monday 21 July 2014

The Savage Kingdom by Simon David Eden

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Pages: 304
Publisher: Simon and Schuster UK
Released: 17th of July 2014

Everyone has the potential to change the world, but some are born to do it.

 When Drue's beloved cat Will-C goes missing, she's unaware that his disappearance is the start of the greatest global conflict the world has ever known. The animal kingdom has declared war on mankind, and now domesticated creatures must choose who to fight for: Man or Beast.

Cast into a world full of danger, but determined to rescue Will-C and bring him home, Drue starts out on a quest and makes an astonishing discovery: an ancient tribe of shape-shifters, who have lived in the shadows since the dawn of time, are about to play a key role in shaping the future - but can they save mankind? And what role is Drue herself about to play?

The Savage Kingdom is an unforgettable tale about courage, hope, loyalty and the unbreakable bond between a girl and her cat.

What I Have To Say

It took me a little while to get into this book. The first few chapters were too info-dumpy for me, but it quickly got better and I ended up really enjoying it. 

I really loved the Nsray. I felt that the culture was we built with a lot of great background and explanation. Though I think that Drue was a little slow in asking the one question that I think anyone, especially a 12-year-old girl, would ask before anything else: 'Can I shapeshift too?'! I mean come on. It took her a few chapters to even realise it was possible. 

The only thing I really didn't like about it was the animals. While I love animals being main characters in books, it felt like they were too human. I am really interested in getting inside the animals' heads and I like it when authors have really thought through how the animal would think and how different they would be from humans. 

That said, I really did enjoy the Savage Kingdom and will definitely be keeping up with the series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment