Monday 30 March 2015

Under My Skin by James Dawson

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 302
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Released: 1st of March 2015

Meet Molly Sue. Once she's under your skin there's no getting rid of her...

Seventeen-year-old Sally Feather is not exactly a rebel. Her super-conservative parents and her treatment at the hands of high school bullies means that Sally's about as shy and retiring as they come - but all that's about to change. Accidentally ending up in the seedier side of town one day, Sally finds herself mysteriously lured to an almost-hidden tattoo parlour - and once inside, Sally is quickly seduced by its charming owner, Rosita, and her talk of how having a secret tattoo can be as empowering as it is thrilling. Almost before she knows what she is doing, Sally selects sexy pin-up Molly Sue, and has her tattooed on her back - hoping that Molly Sue will inspire her to be as confident and popular as she is in her dreams.

But things quickly take a nightmareish turn. Almost immediately, Sally begins to hear voices in her head - or rather, one voice in particular: Molly Sue's. And she has no interest in staying quiet and being a good girl - in fact, she's mighty delighted to have a body to take charge of again. Sally slowly realises that she is unable to control Molly Sue... and before long she's going to find out the hard way what it truly means to have somebody 'under your skin'.

What I Have To Say 

I don't read many horror books, so I may be wrong, but I don't think that there are that many other horror writers that have the same sort of quirkiness to their writing and stories that James Dawson has. In this book you can see it clearly through Sally's friendship group and obviously Satanville (which I'm so a fan of now. I want to watch it!). It's the thing is probably going to make me end up reading Say Her Name too though it's going to traumatize me for at least a week. 

I could really see how Molly-Sue managed to play Sally so well at the start of the book. It made me really want a tattoo best friend (but um... without the horror stuff please!). Molly-Sue had character. At first I was worried she would be a bit of a cliché, but she was so much more than that. I absolutely loved her character. Though I did feel that the ending was a bit of a let down because of this. 

If you want a book with quirky characters and a cool plot and the awesomeness of sexy, psychopathic, Molly-Sue, then this would be a good choice. It's a fun read and only a little bit scary. Also, it has Satanville. 


1 comment:

  1. James Dawson is such a great writer so I'm excited to pick up this book :) great review!

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.com/2015/03/review-assassins-blade-throne-of-glass.html

    ReplyDelete