Thursday 2 April 2015

The Storm by Virginia Bergin

Synopsis (from Goodreads

My thanks go to Netgalley and Pan Macmillan for providing me with this E-arc. 

Pages: 304
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Released: 29th of January 2015
Other Books in the Series: The Rain

"I'll tell you a weird thing about apocalypses - a thing I didn't even know until I was in one: they seem pretty bad, don't they? Well, take it from me: they can always get worse."

Three months after the killer rain first fell, Ruby is beginning to realise her father might be dead . . . and that she cannot survive alone. When a chance encounter lands her back in the army camp, Ruby thinks she is safe - at a price. Being forced to live with Darius Spratt is bad enough, but if Ruby wants to stay she must keep her eyes - and her mouth - shut. It's not going to happen. When she realizes what is going on - the army is trying to find a cure by experimenting on human subjects - Ruby flips out . . . and makes an even more shocking discovery: she's not useless at all. The Storm begins . . . 

What I Have to Say 

I don't know what it is about this series that keeps me interested. I find the writing very basic, the voice a little annoying at sometimes, very immature. Though it just works. The voice really suits the main character. She sounds maybe a little too young for the age that's stated, though I feel that Ruby is very young for her age. I really don't know why but it just works for me. 

It's nice to see Ruby developing, finding her uses when the army has deemed her useless. This really does seem a much more realistic take on the apocalypse, because she's a character who isn't skilled, who is naive. Who is a real teenager who just wants to be with her family and not go out getting into fights and getting what she wants (well at least at first). But she's learning. She's reading survival guides and books about clouds in the library in order to learn how to survive. I love this. 

And we got to see what happened to the Princess! I'm so happy to see her again. I'm really looking forward to the next book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment