Monday 20 July 2015

A Whisper of Wolves and Warning Cry by Kris Humphrey

Synopsis for A Whisper of Wolves (from Goodreads

Pages: 224
Publisher: Stripes Publishing 
Released: 2nd of March 2015 (Warning Cry: 6th of July 2014) 

When a raven drops a white feather at the doorstep on the day of your birth, it is a symbol of your destiny. You are a Whisperer – a guardian of the wild. After many years of peace in the kingdom of Meridina, rumours are spreading of a planned invasion – could the demonic Narlaw be returning from the darklands? It is up to the Whisperers and their animal companions to defend Meridina, protect Princess Ona and stop the Narlaw from destroying their world.

When hunters from her village disappear without a trace, Alice suspects that something sinister is at work. With the help of Storm, her wolf companion, Alice fights to save her village. The Narlaw are on the attack and it’s up to the Whisperers to stop them…

What I Have to Say 

This is a series that I would have adored as a kid. It's so in keeping of what I like that it reminds me a lot of the games I used to make up in the playground about 12 year old girls who could psychically connect to animals. So I am really, really disappointed to be finding it now and not then. Because while I would have adored it back then, it felt a bit flat to me now. 

That said the second book really picked up. I really liked Nara and Tuanne. They were much more interesting characters than I found Alice to be in the first book. Alice just felt like nothing special to me, she was the same girl that is in a lot of these books. 

I think the second book has made me a lot more enthusiastic about the series. I like the theme of girls finding their place in the world and being important. I love the animals and especially Tuanne learning to whisper with Nimbus. I like her in general because she is so different from the others and uses her powers in such a different way from her need to survive in the desert with her tribe. 

I'm looking forward to the next book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment