Monday 13 July 2015

Miss Mabel's School for Girls by Katie Cross

Synopsis (from Goodreads

My thanks go to Netgalley and Antebellum for providing me with this e-copy. 

Pages: 308
Publisher: Antebellum
Released: April 2015 (first published 21st of March 2014) 

Never underestimate the power of a determined witch.

Letum Wood is a forest of fog and deadfall, home to the quietly famous Miss Mabel’s School for Girls, a place where young witches learn the art of magic.

Sixteen-year-old Bianca Monroe has inherited a deadly curse. Determined to break free before it kills her, she enrolls in the respected school to confront the cunning witch who cast the curse: Miss Mabel.

Bianca finds herself faced with dark magic she didn’t expect, with lessons more dangerous than she could have ever imagined. Will Bianca have the courage to save herself from the curse, or will Miss Mabel’s sinister plan be too powerful? 

What I Have to Say 

A private boarding school for witches? I had to have this book and I'm so glad that I loved it. It was a lovely cross between a traditional boarding school book and a story of struggle and plotting. I loved the whole relationship between Bianca and Miss Mabel. The arch-nemesis but pretending not to be relationship. I adored how Miss Mabel always addresses Bianca as dear Bianca or darling Bianca early in the book, even though it's made clear that she knows exactly who she is. 

Bianca's friendships were also really great. Although it's completely unlikely that you'll find such close friendships with the first people you talk to at boarding school, it's something that I wouldn't want a boarding school book without. It's part of the genre. An important part. And Leda and Camille were the typical loyal boarding school friends, who would do anything for Bianca. I especially loved what Leda brought to the mix with her own curse, because it was so interesting and managed to be helpful to Bianca while not obviously there as a plot device to help her along. 

I only think that for me, the book was lacking in the boarding school/ everyday life aspects. It all moved so fast and I think it would have been better from my viewpoint if there had been a bit of leeway in the timescale so that we had more time to explore the school and the other teachers/ students. 

I cannot wait for the next book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment