Thursday 12 May 2016

Pax by Sara Pennypacker

Pax book cover, fox staring out over a landscape

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 304
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books 
Released: 25th of February 2016 

Pax was only a kit when his family was killed and he was rescued by ‘his boy’, Peter. Now the country is at war and when his father enlists, Peter has no choice but to move in with his grandfather. Far worse than leaving home is the fact that he has to leave Pax behind. But before Peter spends even one night under his grandfather’s roof he sneaks out into the night, determined to find his beloved friend. This is the story of Peter, Pax, and their journeys back to each other as war rampages throughout the country.

What I Have to Say 

While this is a beautiful tale about a friendship between a fox and his boy, I found it a little slow. It seemed to drag in places and be overly action filled in others. That's not to say I didn't like it though. I loved to see Pax with the other foxes and their reaction to approaching war and Peter's journey to find him, while slower, was also filled with interesting characters and adventures. 

But beyond that, I found it dragged a little too much. I was as impatient as Peter was to get him back on the road and going after his fox friend, even though the pause was obviously so important to his development as a character. 

I know that some of the scenes from this book will stay with me for a long time and I may even reread it one day, but I think a younger me who is happier to read slower paced books may have preferred it better. 


My thanks go to Harper Collins and Netgalley for providing me with this copy to review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment