Saturday 6 August 2016

The Boyfriend List and The Book Book by E. Lockhart

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 256
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Released: 14th of July 2016 

Ruby Oliver is fifteen and has a shrink. But before you make up your mind about her, you should know that she has had a pretty awful (and eventful) past ten days. She has: 
* lost her boyfriend
* lost her best friend (Kim)
* lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket)
* did something suspicious with a boy
* did something advanced with a boy
* had an argument with a boy
* drank her first beer (someone handed it to her)
* got caught by her mom (ag!)
* had a panic attack (scary)
* lost a lacrosse game (she's the goalie)
* failed a math test (she'll make it up)
* hurt Meghan's feelings (even though they aren't really friends)
* became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch)
* and had graffiti written about her in the girls' bathroom (who knows what was in the boys'!?!).

But don't worry, Ruby lives to tell the tale. Through a special assignment to list all the boys she's ever had the slightest, little, any-kind-of-anything with, comes an unfortunate series of events that would be enough to send any girl in a panic. 

What I Have To Say 

These was really not my sort of books. I probably could have told that from the titles, but it was E. Lockhart who I really like so I gave them a try, but it was just a lot of complaining about relationships and Ruby wondering why boys wouldn't kiss her. It probably would have been more interesting if I was the sort of girl who'd had lots of boyfriends and spent my time wondering whether boys wanted to kiss me, but I went to an all girls school so I was never really that sort of teenager. 

Also, the footnotes really bothered me. Some of them were halfway through sentences meaning that you had to find the footnote just for some pointless comment and then find the 
place you were again. 

Admittedly, it didn't help that my copy was an e-proof, meaning that I had to hunt down the relevant footnote, so it did make it more difficult, but even so, some of the comments were so annoying. 

These just weren't the books for me. There were some vaguely funny bits, but mostly I was bored or irritated. 


My thanks go to Netgalley and Hot Key Books for providing me with this copy for review. 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment