Monday 13 February 2017

Mind the Gap by Phil Earle

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 104 
Publisher: Barrington Stoke Ltd. 
Released: 5th of January 2017 

When Mikey's dad died, something in Mikey died too. He loved his old man and he never stopped dreaming that one day his dad would land the role of a lifetime, prove them all wrong, and rock back up to the estate in the flashiest car anyone had ever seen. Now there's just numbness, and not caring, and really, really stupid decisions. He says the worst of it is that he can't even remember his dad's voice any more. Eventually Mikey's best mate can't bear it any more, and so he sets out to give Mikey the memories - and his dad's voice - back



What I Have to Say 

This is a really touching story of the extent that a boy will go for his friend. It shows the extent that grief can wrap people up in and swallow them into depression. 

I have to admit that I wasn't too keen on most of the story. I'm not so fond of stories about thugs and thieves, but it was entertaining and there were many characters with different attitudes and personalities, each effected by Mikey's father and reluctant to help. 

The ending was the best part in my opinion. It was solved in such a simple but cool way and the story that inspired it was so sweet. 

Though it wasn't really my thing, I really did enjoy this books. 


My thanks go to Barrington Stoke and Nina Douglas to providing me with this copy for review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment