Sunday 7 October 2018

Most Anticipated Reads for October!

I think we can all agree that there are some fantastic books due to be released in October, so I thought I'd share a few of the ones I'm really looking forward to.

The first two, I'm actually already reading, but they're so good and I've been excited for them for a fair while, so I'm including them on the list. 


Death in the Spotlight by Robin Stevens (4th) 

Someone will take their final bow . . .

Fresh from their adventure in Hong Kong, Hazel Wong and Daisy Wells are off to the Rue Theatre in London to face an entirely new challenge: acting.

But the Detective Society is never far away from danger, and it's clear there's trouble afoot at the Rue. 

Jealousy, threats and horrible pranks quickly spiral out of control - and then a body is found. 

Now Hazel and Daisy must take centre stage and solve the crime . . . before the murderer strikes again. 

These books have and always will have a special place in my heart. Every new release is something I await with so much anticipation and not once have I been disappointed. Because they are beautiful, beautiful books that are always just perfect.

I'm halfway through the book at the moment and the series has actually just gotten even better. As soon as I'm finished with it, the anticipation will start for the next one.

What If It's Us by Becky Albertally and Adam Silvera (18th) 

Arthur is only in New York for the summer, but if Broadway has taught him anything, it’s that the universe can deliver a showstopping romance when you least expect it.

Ben thinks the universe needs to mind its business. If the universe had his back, he wouldn’t be on his way to the post office carrying a box of his ex-boyfriend’s things.

But when Arthur and Ben meet-cute at the post office, what exactly does the universe have in store for them?

Maybe nothing. After all, they get separated.

Maybe everything. After all, they get reunited.

But what if they can’t quite nail a first date . . . or a second first date . . . or a third?

What if Arthur tries too hard to make it work . . . and Ben doesn’t try hard enough?

What if life really isn’t like a Broadway play?

But what if it is?

Two big name LGBT authors coming together to co-write a meet-cute. What could be more exciting!? I haven't read any Adam Silvera yet, though he's definitely on my list of authors to check out, but Becky Albertalli is an author I love, Simon vs the Homosapien Agenda/ Love Simon is a fantastic book and I adored the Upside of Unrequited Too, so I was definitely excited about this book. The concept just made it so much more exciting. 

It hasn't disappointed me so far and I'm most of the way through! 

Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend (30th) 

Morrigan Crow and her best friend Hawthorne Swift are now proud scholars in the elite Wundrous Society, but life is far from perfect. Does Morrigan have what it takes to prove that she belongs in the Society?

One that I haven't started reading yet, Wundersmith is one I am so, so excited for. I adored Nevermoor so much and can't wait to see what happens to Morrigan Crow next! There are still so, so many mysteries hidden in Nevermoor waiting to be revealed and I can't wait to get back into that world. 

I just wish I didn't have to wait until the 30th! 

My last book is technically not out until November, but I have an eArc from Netgalley which I'm going to be reading in October, so I'm counting it. 

Empress of All Seasons by Emiko Jean (8th of November) 

In a palace of illusions, nothing is what it seems.

Each generation, a competition is held to find the next empress of Honoku. The rules are simple. Survive the palace’s enchanted seasonal rooms. Conquer Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. Marry the prince. All are eligible to compete—all except yōkai, supernatural monsters and spirits whom the human emperor is determined to enslave and destroy. 

Mari has spent a lifetime training to become empress. Winning should be easy. And it would be, if she weren't hiding a dangerous secret. Mari is a yōkai with the ability to transform into a terrifying monster. If discovered, her life will be forfeit. As she struggles to keep her true identity hidden, Mari’s fate collides with that of Taro, the prince who has no desire to inherit the imperial throne, and Akira, a half-human, half-yōkai outcast.

Torn between duty and love, loyalty and betrayal, vengeance and forgiveness, the choices of Mari, Taro, and Akira will decide the fate of Honoku in this beautifully written, edge-of-your-seat YA fantasy. 

I am adoring all of the Asian inspired fantasy coming out at the moment. It is so wonderful to have a new influx of mythology and settings to the Fantasy genre. There are so, so many books I'm now completely excited for and Empress of All Seasons is definitely near the top  of the list. Yokai, secrets, illusions? Competing against one another to become the new Empress? I cannot wait to read it!


So that's my list! I hope you enjoyed the sneak peek into what I'm looking forward to and maybe picked up a few titles for your own lists! 

Anything you're looking forward to this October? 



4 comments:

  1. What if it's us is definitely on my TBR! This month I am mainly trying to read horror for halloween, but already I'm wanting to pick up Ninteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

    ReplyDelete
  2. Empress of All Season and What If It's Us has my eye! Can't wait to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you ended up enjoying What If It's Us! I really liked it and thought it was really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read all of the Murder Most Unladylike series, I feel like I am missing out!

    Daniella x

    ReplyDelete