Thursday 3 January 2019

Devoted by Jennifer Mathieu

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 306 
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books 
Released: 10th of Januray 2019 

Rachel Walker's family and community have turned away from the world.

Every part of Rachel's life is controlled, from what she reads to where she goes and what she wears. Her parents dictate how her life must be: marriage, modesty, children and obedience to her future husband. But when a former member of her community, a girl who escaped, moves back to her small Texas town, Rachel's world turns upside down.

She realises that her life is her own. But can she find the courage to fight for it?

What I Have to Say 

This was such a great book. Moxie is still my favourite, but this had a lot of the same things in it that made Moxie so great: A fantastic main character, a well constructed setting and a need to fight back against the patriarchy. 

I loved Rachel so much. She was so easy to get inside the head of and empathise with. I wanted her to get away from her family and out of the community that was confining her so badly. But I also wanted to see more of it. I really wanted to see what Journey of Faith was like. I was torn in two ways, interested to see more but also wanting so much for Rachel to get away and not have to go there. I've never felt so torn while reading a book like this before. 

The community was constructed really well. You could see how everyone was made to believe in the ways that they did things, that the way that they were living was the right way that would take them to heaven. And it was also easy to see where there were holes in their argument, if only Rachel would just figure it out quicker!! 

This was such a great book and it's definitely one that everyone should read. 


My thanks go to Hodder Children's Books for providing me with this copy for review. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved Moxie so I am definitely interested in giving this book a read. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts Lily :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone has said brilliant things, I just couldn't get into Moxie though so I'm not sure if I should give this a try.

    ReplyDelete