Monday 7 February 2022

Blood Heir by Amélie Wen Zhao

 

Pages: 464

Publisher: Harper Voyager 

Released: 28th of November 2019 

In the Cyrilian Empire, Affinites are reviled. Their varied gifts to control the world around them are deemed unnatural--even dangerous. And Anastacya Mikhailov, the crown princess, is one of the most terrifying Affinites.

Ana's ability to control blood has long been kept secret, but when her father, the emperor, is murdered, she is the only suspect. Now, to save her own life, Ana must find her father's killer. But the Cyrilia beyond the palace walls is one where corruption rules and a greater conspiracy is at work--one that threatens the very balance of Ana's world.

There is only one person corrupt enough to help Ana get to the conspiracy's core: Ramson Quicktongue. Ramson is a cunning crime lord with sinister plans--though he might have met his match in Ana. Because in this story, the princess might be the most dangerous player of all.

What I Have to Say 

So I'll admit, I wanted to read this book because of the controversy around it. I put my faith in the author and the publisher that they had fixed any problems that may have been in it and although I don't always notice these things, there was certainly nothing I could see of the problematic content. Race didn't come into it at all. Though with the Russian inspired setting, it makes me wonder what was there before. 

The book itself though was pretty meh if I'm honest. The setting was interesting but the characters just didn't capture me at all. There was nothing wrong with them, but I just didn't care about them. Ransom was meant to be this sassy backstabbing dickhead, which is usually my favourite kind of character, but it just didn't hit right. 

As for the plot, it was okay. There were a few bits that didn't add up, especially with the ending, but it kept my attention okay. It just felt forced though. And how many times can people fall into the river??? 

Basically not for me at all. 


My thanks go to the publisher and netgally for providing me with this copy for review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment