Monday 14 February 2022

Like a Charm by Elle McNicoll

 

Pages: 313

Publisher: Knights Of 

Released: 3rd of February 2022 

Edinburgh is a city filled with magical creatures. No one can see them... until Ramya Knox.

As she is pulled into her family's world of secrets and spells, Ramya sets out to discover the truth behind the Hidden Folk with only three words of warning from her grandfather: Beware the Sirens.

Plunged into an adventure that will change everything, Ramya is about to learn that there is more to her powers than she ever imagined.

What I Have to Say 

I love Elle McNicoll so much. I love that she writes characters like me who are neurodiverse and she does it so well. She makes things hopeful and happy rather than dwelling on the difficulties. Although sometimes her writing is so accurate that it hurts a little bit, she makes me feel seen. 

Like a Charm wasn't as good as Show Us Who You are. I still enjoyed it, but Show Us Who You Are was truly special for me and I don't think anything could live up to it. That said, I just found Ramya a little bit too abrasive. She's a beautifully made character, strong and brave and full of personality and I can understand why she's abrasive. She has every reason to be. It's just for me that was a bit off-putting. 

Like Ramya, I have dyspraxia, but only mild, so it doesn't effect my life as much as it does hers. I can't ride a bike and I have trouble carrying a tray of drinks without spilling them everywhere, but other than that, I don't really notice it. But I can still relate hugely to the way the teachers talked about her. The fact that she was always a disappointment to them because she was never quite enough. That and the motor skills workshops is something we share.

I was very happy with the representation in this book, but it wasn't everything to me the way that the autism representation was in Show Us Who We Are. Perhaps if I had worse dyspraxia, then it might have been more. 

All in all though I really enjoyed this book, I'm looking forward to seeing more adventures from Ramya and Marley, especially now that Ramya's starting to fit herself a little better. 


My thanks go to Nights Of And Ed PR for providing me with a copy of this book for review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment