Monday 20 February 2023

A Day of Fallen Night by Samantha Shannon

Pages: 880 

Publisher: Bloomsbury 

Released: 28th of February 2023 

The stunning, standalone prequel to the New York Times bestselling The Priory of the Orange Tree.

Tunuva Melim is a sister of the Priory. For fifty years, she has trained to slay wyrms – but none have appeared since the Nameless One, and the younger generation is starting to question the Priory's purpose.

To the north, in the Queendom of Inys, Sabran the Ambitious has married the new King of Hróth, narrowly saving both realms from ruin. Their daughter, Glorian, trails in their shadow – exactly where she wants to be.

The dragons of the East have slept for centuries. Dumai has spent her life in a Seiikinese mountain temple, trying to wake the gods from their long slumber. Now someone from her mother's past is coming to upend her fate.

When the Dreadmount erupts, bringing with it an age of terror and violence, these women must find the strength to protect humankind from a devastating threat.

Intricate and epic, Samantha Shannon sweeps readers back to the world of A Priory of the Orange Tree, showing us a course of events that shaped it for generations to come. 

What I Have to Say 

It is an honour to review this book. The Priory of the Orange Tree means so much to me and getting to dive back into the world was a joy. I am so happy to get to share this experience with all of you. 

Though not as good as Priory (because what really could have been as good as Priory), A Day of Fallen Night is a beautifully written prequel. It picks up a lot of the same themes as Priory and takes  you straight back into this world. While I was a little slow to get into it (which I put down to the lack of dragons in the first half ) it soon picked up and reminded me what I loved about Priory, 

This book is an epic. It is long and detailed and you have to buckle yourself in for a big commitment. But while some books this size are long winded and honestly not worth the effort, that's not true for either Priory or A Day of Fallen Night. It is worth the commitment and doesn't feel nearly as long when you buckle in and get reading. 

My favourite parts, I think were the parts with Tunuva and Siyu. I loved seeing more about the Priory and what it was like in a time of peace. But I also really liked the bits with Glorian a lot and obviously the bits with Dumai and the dragons. It was nice that we had such a scope of storylines, with lots of themes to explore but it was also nice to see them connect together at the end. 

I would recommend reading Priory again first though. I didn't have time for a reread and though I did remember a lot of stuff as I went on, I got a little frustrated that I couldn't remember certain details. 

In short, this series is amazing but do reread before you get stuck in! 


My thanks go to Netgalley and Bloomsbury for providing me with this copy for review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment