Wednesday 22 February 2023

The Elemental Detectives by Patrice Lawrence (audio)

Pages: 432 

Publisher: Bolinda Audio 

Released: 1st of September 2023 

A stunningly imagined, action-packed fantasy adventure for fans of Nevermoor, Neverwhere and Mortal Engines, from bestselling and award-winning author Patrice Lawrence.

Step into a London lit up by the Elemental spirits: the fiery Dragons, the airy Fumis, the watery Chads and the earthbound Magogs. But humans have been causing chaos for centuries, trampling through the landscape trailing noise, mess and pollution. What if the Elements could slow down this new world... or stop it all together?

The revenge-fuelled Shepherdess, who moves between the everyday and the supernatural London worlds, is the perfect weapon. She brings a sleeping sickness down on the city with the destruction of society in her sights. Marisee and Robert are the Elemental Detectives chasing the clues to avoid catastrophe: they must face the ghosts of Hyde Park, the monstrous coiled snake of the Serpentine, and a whole host of other fantastical creatures in their mission to stop the Shepherdess and prevent London slumbering for all eternity...


Big, bold, future classic storytelling for a new generation.

A London where magic sparks just beneath the surface - this book is set to ignite young imaginations.

The page-turning, empowering, heart-racing first book in a major new series.

 What I Have To Say 

I enjoyed this, but it's not what I expected from the title. I expected more of a whodunnit mystery with the characters investigating whereas this was more of a adventure story where they had an adventure and solved the mystery on the way. It's a shame because I would have enjoyed it more if I'd know what I was getting in for, but oh well. 

The characters were great but obviously, I was more interested in the elemental characters than the human ones. The fumis were my favourite. I loved the way they were named and the suggestions of their language. I really want to see more of them in the next book. 

All in all, I think this was a good start to a series. I definitely want to see more of these books. 

 
3.5 stars 

My thanks go to Netgalley and Bolinda Audio for providing me with this copy for review. 







No comments:

Post a Comment