Monday 15 May 2023

Fake Dates and Mooncakes by Sher Lee

Pages: 272 

Publisher: Macmillan 

Released: 16th of May 2023 

Fake-dates, mooncakes and rich people problems. But love wasn't meant to be on the menu ...

Meet Dylan Tang: he juggles school and delivery runs for his aunt’s struggling Chinese takeout in Brooklyn. Winning a mooncake competition could bring the publicity they need to stay afloat.

Enter Theo Somers: a charming, wealthy customer who convinces Dylan to be his fake date to a family wedding full of crazy rich drama. Their romance is supposed to be just for show . . . but soon Dylan’s falling for Theo. For real.

With the mooncake contest looming, Dylan can’t risk being distracted by rich-people problems. Can he save his family’s business and follow his heart—or will he fail to do both?

What I Have to Say 

 The two best things about this book were the dog (Clover the corgi, named after the author's own dog) and the mooncakes. Though there could always be more dog moments, both lived up to expectation. The food descriptions in this book in general were wonderful and a lot of snacking happened while I was reading it, but the talk of different methods to make mooncakes was my favourite because I've never thought about what it entails. I've never had a snow skin mooncake or one with chocolate in, but now I want to try them! 

The characters were very lifelike and I loved how much the book showed the feeling of family. Dylan's family was wonderful and I could really feel the love, but I could also feel a lot of love between Theo and his cousins. It gave the book such a loving vibe. 

The only problem I had was that all Theo seemed to do was help Dylan out. It seemed that Dylan was always the one needing rescuing and Theo was always the rescuer. I would have liked a bit more balance as it got old fast. 

Read for a warm loving family dynamic, rich people drama, a cute dog and lots and lots of mooncakes! 


4 stars 

My thanks goes to Macmillan and Netgalley for providing me with this copy for review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment