Wednesday 3 May 2023

Straight Expectations by Calum McSwiggan

Pages: 336 

Publisher: Penguin

Released: 4th of May 2023 

Seventeen-year-old Max has always been out, proud and just a little spoiled. Frustrated by the lack of romantic options in his small-town high school, during an argument with his lifelong best friend Dean, Max lashes out and says he wishes he had never been born gay.

Max gets more than he bargained for when he wakes up to find his wish has come true - not only have his feelings for boys vanished, but so has Dean.

With his school life turned upside down and his relationship with his family in tatters, Max sets out on a journey of rediscovery to find a way back to the life he took for granted, and the romance he thought he'd never have.

 What I Have to Say 

This was a fun, alternate universe comedy about friendship, identity and what it really means to be gay. It did what it set out to do and looked at identity in a comedic way. 

I enjoyed it mostly but it felt a little out of touch in parts? At one point the main character said that there wasn't really a fight for gay rights anymore. I understand that publishing takes a while and this may have been written before all the recent turmoil, but the trans fight has never stopped and it's still illegal t be gay in many countries. I could forgive it if it was just cis white gay privilege (which the character certainly has in abundance) but as nothing was said to combat the statement, I can't really figure it out. 

The characters were fun. There were definitely a lot of stereotypes, but they seemed like young boys trying to explore their identities and there was some exploration of that in the text and they seemed like well rounded characters as well. I loved how they looked at gender non-conforming fashion so much both as part of the characters and part of the plots as well.  There was also a beautiful emphasis on friendship between the main trio of characters and that was beautiful to see. 

All in all, I'm a bit conflicted about this book. I think if they take out the line about not having to fight anymore, I could say I enjoyed it, but as it stands, I'm just uncomfortable. 


3 stars 

My thanks go to Netgalley and Penguin for providing me with this copy for review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment