Wednesday 7 February 2024

Meet Me at the Surface by Jodie Matthews

Pages: 272

Publisher: Fourth Estate 

Released: 15th of February 2024 

EVERYTHING THAT COMES FROM THE GROUND HAS TO GO BACK DOWN, EVENTUALLY…

Merryn grew up on the wilds of Bodmin moor, raised by her mother and her aunt in an old farmhouse. Here, the locals never leave the decaying village, fear for the future of their farms and cling desperately to the folkloric tales that are woven into their history. Except Merryn, who has escaped to Manchester for university, briefly untethering herself from her past.

When Merryn returns home for the memorial service of her ex-girlfriend Claud, she finds her childhood home stranger and more secretive than ever. She’s sure that her mother is hiding something. The villagers are hunting on the moors at night, but for what? And then there’s a notebook, found in an old chest of drawers, full of long-forgotten folklore than seems to be linked somehow to Claud…

What I Have to Say 

Unfortunately this one missed the mark. I wish I could have enjoyed it more, but it just didn't draw me in. On paper, it is everything I love in a book, but the reality of it didn't match up. I think the thing I found most off-putting was the unpleasant descriptions. I don't really want to read detailed descriptions of skinning eels, thanks. 

The characters also didn't really capture my attention. It seemed their only interesting points were the relationships to each other. I didn't get much of a sense of who they were as people. Claud and Merryn's relationship was very toxic, which is okay when it's done well, but all I saw in this was Claud's absolute cruelty towards Merryn. 

This just wasn't what I wanted from this book. 


Two Stars 

My thanks goes to Netgalley and Fourth Estate for providing me with this gifted copy for review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment