Friday 2 February 2024

The Book of Doors by Gareth Brown

Pages: 392

Publisher: Bantam

Released: 15th of February 2024 

If you could open a door to anywhere, where would you go?

In New York City, bookseller Cassie Andrews is living an unassuming life when she is given a gift by a favourite customer. It's a book - an unusual book, full of strange writing and mysterious drawings. And at the very front there is a handwritten message to Cassie, telling her that this is the Book of Doors, and that any door is every door .

What Cassie is about to discover is that the Book of Doors is a special book that bestows an extraordinary powers on whoever possesses it, and soon she and her best friend Izzy are exploring all that the Book of Doors can do, swept away from their quiet lives by the possibilities of travelling to anywhere they want.

But the Book of Doors is not the only magical book in the world. There are other books that can do wondrous and dreadful things when wielded by dangerous and ruthless individuals - individuals who crave what Cassie now possesses.

Suddenly Cassie and Izzy are confronted by violence and danger, and the only person who can help them is, it seems, Drummond Fox. He is a man fleeing his own demons - a man with his own secret library of magical books that he has hidden away in the shadows for safekeeping. Because there is a nameless evil out there that is hunting them all . . .

Because some doors should never be opened.

What I Have to Say 

I loved the concept of this book so much. Books having different powers and the magic to do different things. I liked what was done with it. It didn't disappoint me in that regard at all. It made me think of all the things I could do if I had the Book of Doors. Going anywhere I pleased. Which is what a book like this is meant to do. It makes you think about what you'd do if you had the powers in the book and takes you away into a new world. 

I also liked the way it all fitted together. It was a really good standalone read. Everything was explained and it all fitted neatly together. I wasn't confused or left wondering about any of it. I liked the ending, I felt it tied up all the loose ends nicely and though while I'd like to see another book with this magic and these characters, it didn't feel like it needed one. 

The only problem I had with it is that it needed a sensitivity reader in some parts. The author tried really hard to include diverse characters, but he didn't treat them as well as they should have been treated. He fell into the trap of having the female main character look in the mirror and describe her boobs for one thing, which is something I hate to see. I was also particularly shocked to see him describe a black man as an animal. He meant it because he was evil, but considering the history of how black people and especially black men can be treated, it felt entirely inappropriate.  A sensitivity reader could have picked up on these things and made it a much better book. 

All in all though, I enjoyed it a lot, despite it's flaws. 


3 stars 

My thanks go to Netgalley and Bantam for providing me with this gifted copy for review. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment