Wednesday 27 July 2022

Her Majesty's Royal Coven by Juno Dawson (audiobook)

Pages: 464

Publisher: Harper Voyager 

Released: 21st of July 2022 

Hidden among us is a secret coven of witches. They are Her Majesty’s Royal Coven. They protect crown and country from magical forces and otherworldly evil. But their greatest enemy will come from within.

There are whisperings of a prophecy that will bring the coven to its knees, and five best friends are about to be caught at the centre. Life as a modern witch was never simple … but now it’s about to get apocalyptic.

Prepare to be bewitched by Juno Dawson’s first adult series. A story of ancient prophecies and modern dating, of sacred sisterhood and demonic frenemies.

What I Have to Say 

Can Juno Dawson write anything I don't like? Well she hasn't yet. Her Majesty's Royal Coven was a bit different from her contemporary stuff and even from her horror stuff, with a well defined society of witches hidden from the rest of society. I found the world building really well done and it was completely believable that witches could exist and that they could have the same struggle and politics that we ourselves face. 

I found it a bit difficult to follow which character was which at the start. I will admit, I had covid when I was listening to it, so that probably didn't help, but I have talked to other people who also found it a bit of a problem. It took me until the 50% mark to figure out who everyone was, so be aware when you read it and maybe take some notes if this is a thing that you struggle with. 

Everything else was fantastic though. The plot and the characters, the way that gender and race issues were addressed was really good. I can't say much about this because it's quite important to the plot, but there some diverse characters involved in the plot and the very binary gender divide between witches and warlocks is very much addressed. 

The narration was perfect. I enjoyed it a lot and was very glad that I had the audiobook to listen to. I especially liked the voice that she put on for Theo. 

Basically, I loved this book and I think it's an important addition to the genre. It just could have done with a character guide in the front of the book!! 


My thanks go to Netgalley and Harper Voyager for providing me with this copy for review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment