Monday 25 July 2022

Rebel Skies by Ann Sei Lin

Pages: 368

Publisher: Walker Books 

Released: 5th May 2022 

Teen fantasy adventure set in a world of flying ships and sky cities, where chosen ones have the ability to bring paper to life and work as Crafters - people who hunt wild paper spirits called shikigami. Inspired by Asian culture and exploring themes of empire, slavery and freedom.

Kurara has never known any other life than being a servant on board the Midori, but when her party trick of making paper come to life turns out to be a power treasured across the empire, she joins a skyship and its motley crew to become a Crafter. Taught by the gruff but wise Himura, Kurara learns to hunt shikigami - wild paper spirits who are sought after by the Princess.

But are these creatures just powerful slaves for the Crafters and the empire, or are they beings with their own souls - and yet another thing to be subjugated by the powerful Emperor and his Princess? 

What I Have to Say 

I adored this world. I'm a big fan of Japanese culture and love doing origami so the idea that origami could be alive and that there could be magic around folding and crafting was beautiful to me. 

I also loved the main character, Kurara. I can't say much about why I like her because of spoilers, but the whole mystery around her past and her relationship with Haru was so interesting. I guessed some of the reveals but that made me feel clever rather than thinking the plot was predicatable. 

It has to be said that Akane was beautiful and I would die for her. Also, I want to say as someone who speaks Japanese on an intermediate level, I loved the Japanese terms that were used. There was at least one pun and various little bits that I could pick up on as a Japanese learner. 

My thanks go to Netgalley and Walker books for providing me with this copy for review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment