Wednesday 26 October 2022

Hex Appeal by Kate Johnson

Pages: 318 

Publisher: One More Chapter 

Released: 1st of October 2022 

It’s just a bunch of hocus pocus…

Essie Winterscale lives in a huge and ever-changing house in the village of Good Winter, in deepest, darkest Essex. She lives with various witches of various ages, one of whom is still a bit salty about having been burned at the stake in 1635, one who keeps accidentally casting fertility spells, and one who knits things that create the future.

All Essie ever wanted was to have a normal life but in the end she found herself drawn back to Beldam House because she just can’t stop her witchiness (although the ability to instantly chill wine is pretty awesome, even she has to admit).

Into this coven of chaos stumbles gorgeous, clueless Josh, their new landlord – and he’s just discovered his tenants haven’t paid rent since the 1700s! As Josh is drawn further into the lives of the inhabitants of Beldam House, Essie is determined to keep him at broomstick’s length. That is, until a family secret, lying hidden for centuries, puts Josh firmly under her spell…

What I Have to Say 

To say this book wasn't for me is an understatement. I really was not interested in this story at all. At first I was interested in the relationship between Essie and Josh but it was just a bit predictable and dull. Except for one key element, I could see the drama coming from a mile off and the thing that I did see was more plot based than relationship. 

The house was interesting and I would have loved to have found out more about it and spent more time there but the plot took us away too fast. The witchhunting bits, I found a bit hammed up and the bit where they just abandoned the plot for a sex break just irritated me. 

It takes a really good romance to pique my interest and this just wasn't it. 


Two stars

My thanks go to One More Chapter and Netgalley for providing me with this copy for review. 




No comments:

Post a Comment