Friday 15 December 2023

A Bright Heart by Kate Chenli (audiobook)

Pages: 344

Publisher: Dreamscape Lore 

Released: 14th of November 2023 

What if you could avenge your own murder? A brilliant young woman gets a second chance at life in this debut YA tale of vengeance, court intrigue, and romance, inspired by classic Chinese tropes.
 
Mingshin outsmarted three princes to help the man she loved become king. But she doesn’t see Ren’s betrayal coming, not until she’s lying in a pool of her own blood on the palace steps.
 
As she’s dying, Mingshin makes a desperate plea to the gods to turn back time and give her a chance to make things right.
 
Mingshin wakes up two years earlier, her prayer granted, and swears two things: Ren will never become king, and she will never fall in love again.
 
But the timeline in this life has changed: a dignitary gifted with dark magic is threatening her kingdom’s peace, and Ren’s thirst for power runs deeper than Mingshin could have imagined. 
 
She finds herself allying with Jieh, another contender for the throne. Mingshin knows better than anyone not to give her heart to a prince. But in the viper’s nest of the royal court, she and Jieh prove a phenomenal team. Can Mingshin avert the catastrophe of her past by once again learning to trust…and maybe even love? 
 

What I Have to Say 

This is political intrigue done right! 

I really enjoyed listening to this book. I think they did a really great job with the audio and it was also just a really fun book. Some books that are filled with political drama like this can get a bit boring, but this wasn't at all. I was really rooting for all of Mingshin's plans. 

I think the thing that I most liked was Mingshin's character. She was smart. Like really smart. Right from the start she was working to outmanoeuvre her enemies even when she was lying in the snow about to be killed by her betrothed.

If there was one thing I'd change about this book though, I would have made the time travel a bigger thing in the plot. I felt it was really underutilised. By going back in time Mingshin should have had more prior knowledge of events but while there was a tiny bit of that at the start, I felt the author had her early actions changing too much stuff so that she couldn't predict it a lot of the time. 

I really did love this book and this narrator though. I'll be interested in reading more in the series. 

 
4 stars 

My thanks goes to Netgalley and Dreamscape Lore for providing me with this gifted copy for review. 



No comments:

Post a Comment