Monday 21 April 2014

Uninvited by Sophie Jordan

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Pages: 384
Publisher: Harper Teen 
Released: 28th of January 2014

When Davy Hamilton's tests come back positive for Homicidal Tendency Syndrome (HTS)-aka the kill gene-she loses everything. Her boyfriend ditches her, her parents are scared of her, and she can forget about her bright future at Juilliard. Davy doesn't feel any different, but genes don't lie. One day she will kill someone.

Only Sean, a fellow HTS carrier, can relate to her new life. Davy wants to trust him; maybe he's not as dangerous as he seems. Or maybe Davy is just as deadly.

What I Have To Say 

I adore the idea behind this book. There's so much scope to be had with the whole What-makes-killers-kill issue and the nature verses nurture debate. Also, the Minority Report-esque idea of treating people as criminals before they commit the crime really fascinates me. I found it really made me side with the main character quickly because I really want her to prove them wrong. They take so much from her and that's her only way of fighting back. 

The variety of characters is something else I liked. The fact that some of the people with the gene are obviously violent, but others, like Davy, only lash out when treated terribly. It creates a lot of mystery around the characters who are quieter as it's hard to tell which way they'll turn.

There are a lot of unanswered questions left at the end of the book. While usually a good thing, the interest in Davy's musical talent has a potential to let me down. I really, really hope that Sophie Jordan has something really special in mind for that, because it sticks out so much from the other talents they're interested in, which all seem to be more athletic or at least have some obvious purpose like linguistics or computer hacking. The next book could go either way for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment