Monday 22 September 2014

The Iron Trial by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 295
Publisher: 9th of September 2014
Released: Scholastic Press

From two bestselling superstars, a dazzling and magical middle-grade collaboration centering on the students of the Magisterium, an academy for those with a propensity toward magic. In this first book, a new student comes to the Magisterium against his will -- is it because he is destined to be a powerful magician, or is the truth more twisted than that? It's a journey that will thrill you, surprise you, and make you wonder about the clear-cut distinction usually made between good and evil.

What I Have to Say 

I know some people have disliked this and I'm not sure why. If it's because it's an average boy wizard story seems a bit close to Harry Potter then I have some advice. Read on. Because that is absolutely not what it is. I don't want to give away spoilers so I can't go into exactly what it is. But it's the sort of book that I've always wanted to read and have never found written by a decent writer. I cannot wait for the next book. 

The writing was interesting in style. I've not seen many books written by two authors where you can't tell that, well, it's written by two authors. Cassie Clare and Holly Black blended their styles together so well that it created something new, unique to either of them in a completely seamless book. 

As with all books like this, characters are very important. If you don't like any one of the main three then you won't like the book. But I really loved Call, Aaron and Tamara. Especially Tamara. She's so strong and has a great back story with her family. I also love Havoc. I know I always go gooey over animals but really, Havoc was both adorable and really interesting. 

I'm really thinking that this could become a great series. I can't wait for the next book! 




No comments:

Post a Comment