Monday 3 August 2015

The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 440
Publisher: Orion Children's Books 
Released: 6th of August 2015

Twenty-five years ago, Elmbridge High burned down. Three people were killed and one pupil, Carly Johnson, disappeared. Now a diary has been found in the ruins of the school. The diary belongs to Kaitlyn Johnson, Carly’s identical twin sister. But Carly didn’t have a twin . . . 

Re-opened police records, psychiatric reports, transcripts of video footage and fragments of diary reveal a web of deceit and intrigue, violence and murder, raising a whole lot more questions than it answers.

Who was Kaitlyn and why did she only appear at night? Did she really exist or was she a figment of a disturbed mind? What were the illicit rituals taking place at the school? And just what did happen at Elmbridge in the events leading up to ‘the Johnson Incident’?

What I Have to Say 

I was worried that this book would scare me more than it did, which might be a negative point for some people but it made it better for me. I liked the question of whether it was real or mental illness too. It made it really interesting to read because you're constantly doubting things. 

One thing I really liked was Naida and her Mala practices.  I've not heard much about Mala before, so I was really interested in it from that angle. 

The style of it was really interesting too. I really like books that are written in a variety of styles like this. It mixes it up a little to be reading a diary extract followed by a video transcript.


No comments:

Post a Comment