Saturday 8 August 2015

The Kiss by Lucy Courtenay

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 336
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Released: 2nd of July 2015

'Aphrodite kissed a mortal once by the light of this moon, many thousands of years ago. It drove him crazy. The next person that he kissed - boum. The craziness travelled like this from person to person. It travelled through time. Everywhere - boum! Tu comprends?'
'Where did it end up?' I whisper. His lips are on my cheek now.
'It ended with me. And now I am going to pass it to you. You will like that, mermaid?'

Imagine the perfect kiss. A legendary kiss that makes people crazy with love. Imagine a summer's night, on a moonlit beach in the South of France, as French boy Laurent kisses 16-year-old Delilah after the best chat-up line she's ever heard.

BOOM!

Delilah is pretty sure the Kiss is fiction, despite her head-spinning holiday fling. But with all the sudden crushes, break-ups and melt-downs happening back at home, the Kiss starts looking a little too real for comfort. If only Delilah could keep track of where it's gone ...

Who knew one kiss could cause this much trouble?

What I Have to Say 

For this book, think Chick Lit meets a Shakespearean farce, with a scattering of Greek mythology thrown in. It took me a while to get into the style of it, but once I got what they were doing, I loved it. It was really funny. 

I really liked the main two girls. Their friendship is one of the most real that I've seen because they fight and they make up, showing that not all friendships are easy. It's something that quite a few YA books are starting to do and it's a trend that I hope continues because perfect YA friendships lead to unrealistic expectations in real life. 

The ending felt a bit rushed though. The bits with the musical and Tabby were fine, but the rest of Delilah's personal resolution seemed to be resolved without any actual resolving happening. (Sorry for being vague, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers). I don't know if anyone else felt the same, but I just felt that wasn't a good enough reason to gain that resolution. 

All in all though, it was a really fun read. 



No comments:

Post a Comment