Saturday 7 January 2017

Wayfarer by Alexandra Bracken

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 512
Publisher: Quercus Children's Books 
Released: 12th of January 2017

All Etta Spencer wanted was to make her violin debut when she was thrust into a treacherous world where the struggle for power could alter history. After losing the one thing that would have allowed her to protect the Timeline, and the one person worth fighting for, Etta awakens alone in an unknown place and time, exposed to the threat of the two groups who would rather see her dead than succeed. When help arrives, it comes from the last person Etta ever expected - Julian Ironwood, the Grand Master's heir who has long been presumed dead, and whose dangerous alliance with a man from Etta's past could put them both at risk.

Meanwhile, Nicholas and Sophia are racing through time in order to locate Etta and the missing astrolabe with Ironwood travelers hot on their trail. They cross paths with a mercenary-for-hire, a cheeky girl named Li Min who quickly develops a flirtation with Sophia. But as the three of them attempt to evade their pursuers, Nicholas soon realises that one of his companions may have ulterior motives.

As Etta and Nicholas fight to make their way back to one another, from Imperial Russia to the Vatican catacombs, time is rapidly shifting and changing into something unrecognisable ... and might just run out on both of them

What I Have to Say 

This book was a lot better than the one before it. Without the long sea voyage to slow it down, the pages of Wayfarer held so much more action than Passenger, enough to keep me interested and engaged all the time. I think it's a trap that's easy to fall into. Long journeys often lead to slow writing and it just turns me off from a book. 

It took some time to get back with the characters and intricacies of the plot, but once I did it was much better, This time I really got into the story. I really felt for Etta being pushed into a fight that her ancestors have been fighting for thousands of years. And Etta and Nicholas, being faced with the choice of losing each other forever. 

I'm sad that I got into these books only with the sequel. I hope that there might be more follow on books in the future.  


My thanks go to Netgalley and Quercus for providing me with this copy for review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment