Sunday 8 January 2017

Wing Jones by Katherine Webber

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 384
Publisher: Walker 
Released: 5th of January 2017 


With a grandmother from China and another from Ghana, fifteen-year-old Wing Jones is often caught between worlds. But when tragedy strikes, Wing discovers a talent for running she never knew she had. Wing's speed could bring her family everything it needs. It could also stop Wing getting the one thing she wants.

What I Have to Say 

This book blew me away. It was amazing Considering the hype that surrounded this book from the day it was announced, that surprises me. I get very easily taken in by hype that leads me to getting so excited for books that they fall flat when I finally get to them. Because how can any book live up the the expectations I've got for it? Well Wing Jones soared passed my expectations and was so much better than I expected it to be. 

First of all, obviously it has diversity going for it. A lot of Wing's struggles are based on her her race and the fact that she's not Chinese and she's not black. People can't fit her into either box, and in our society of labels and categories, not fitting into a certain box is very alienating. 

And then things change and Webber shows just how well she can show emotion. She moved me to tears several times during this beautiful story of a girl struggling through tragedy and finding herself along the way. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment