Monday 2 May 2022

Confessions of An Alleged Good Girl by Joya Goffney

Pages: 384

Publisher: Hot Key Books 

Released: 3rd of May 2022

Monique lives a perfect life - a preacher's daughter and the girlfriend of the town's golden boy. But it's not that simple. She's torn between her parents who want the pure virginal daughter, and her boyfriend, Dom, who wants to explore the more intimate side of their relationship.

Tired of waiting, her boyfriend breaks up with her, spurring Monique to discover she has a medical condition that makes her far from perfect and she concocts a plan to fix her body and win him back.

With the help of her frenemy, Sasha, the overly zealous church girl Monique's mum pushes her to hang out with, and Reggie, the town's not-so-good boy, Monique must go on trips to unknown and uncomfortable places to find the treatment that will help her. But in doing so, she must face some home truths: maybe she shouldn't be fixing her body to please a boy, maybe Sasha is the friend she needed all along and maybe Reggie isn't so bad at all.

What I Have to Say 

This book was so good. When I started it, I thought it might be too heavy on the teen drama for me, but it reminded me of everything I love about YA. The complex plots, the heavy emotions, the fact that everything can feel so immediate and that the parents can be a real obstacle and sometimes threat. 

What I loved most was just how easy it was to sink into the book.  The main character Mo, was easy to get to know and get into the voice of and I just loved every second of reading her story. I also felt the subject matter was important. It was handled in an honest, feminist and completely entertaining way that never felt forced or like it was pushing the issue. 

It also had a little sprinkle of LGBT rep, as two of the side characters are Sapphic! 

All in all, this book was just perfect. I loved it. 


My thanks go to Netgalley and Hot Key Books for providing me with this copy for review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment