Monday 9 May 2022

London, With Love by Sarra Manning

Pages: 432

Publisher: Hodder and Stoughton 

Released:  5th of May 2022 

London. Nine million people. Two hundred and seventy tube stations. Every day, thousands of chance encounters, first dates, goodbyes and happy ever afters.

And for twenty years it's been where one man and one woman can never get their timing right.

Jennifer and Nick meet as teenagers and over the next two decades, they fall in and out of love with each other. Sometimes they start kissing. Sometimes they're just friends. Sometimes they stop speaking, but they always find their way back to each other.

But after all this time, are they destined to be together or have they finally reached the end of the line? 

What I Have to Say 

I love Sarra Manning, but this book just didn't do it for me. It's a pity because Sarra Manning really helped me get back into reading and therefore reviewing, so I wish I'd liked this more and could give it a better review. It was well done and well executed, I think I just didn't like the relationship and in the end if you don't like the central relationship a romance book will always fall flat. 

I did like however the descriptions of London and the tube stations. I use the tube a lot when I'm in London so it instantly made the setting feel familiar to me even at the stations I hadn't been in and as it started in a time before I was born. 

Manning also did a superb job at depicting the disasters of 9/11 and the tube bombings. The 9/11 chapter was harrowing and emotional, everything you'd expect from a depiction of such a tragic event and was handled sensitively and well. The tube bombing chapters focused more on the pulling together of Londoners and Nick and Jennifer's reunion and were much lighter to read, but without shying away from the events of that day. 

My only real complaint about the book was that we never found out what happened to Priya. 



My thanks go to Netgalley and Hodder and Stoughton for providing me with this copy for review. 



No comments:

Post a Comment