Monday 19 September 2022

The Children of Gods and Fighting Men by Shauna Lawless

Pages: 416 

Publisher: Head of Zeus 

Released: 1st of September 2022 

The first in a gripping new historical fantasy series that intertwines Irish mythology with real-life history, The Children of Gods and Fighting Men is the thrilling debut novel by Shauna Lawless.

They think they've killed the last of us...

981 AD. The Viking King of Dublin is dead. His young widow, Gormflaith, has ambitions for her son – and herself – but Ireland is a dangerous place and kings tend not to stay kings for long. Gormflaith also has a secret. She is one of the Fomorians, an immortal race who can do fire-magic. She has kept her powers hidden at all costs, for there are other immortals in this world – like the Tuatha Dé Danann, a race of warriors who are sworn to kill Fomorians.

Fódla is one of the Tuatha Dé Danann with the gift of healing. Her kind dwell hidden in a fortress, forbidden to live amongst the mortals. Fódla agrees to help her kin by going to spy on Brian Boru, a powerful man who aims to be High King of Ireland. She finds a land on the brink of war – a war she is desperate to stop. However, preventing the loss of mortal lives is not easy with Ireland in turmoil and the Fomorians now on the rise...


What I Have To Say 

This book was very meh for me. I didn't hate it at all and it was easy to read, but I just didn't really get much out of it. I liked one of the view point characters, but the other was just very manipulative and used her body several times in order to get her way. I get that she was grasping for power in any way she could, but it annoyed me that the only ways she could get that power was bossing her son around or having sex with people. 

I also expected more battles. We seemed to be constantly on the edge of one, but it didn't actually happen until the end of the book. There were a lot of negotiations or almost battles. It meant that there didn't really seem to be a lot of danger in the book so there wasn't a lot of excitement. 

I did like the history element. It was interesting to learn about the Vikings in Ireland and see how much conflict between the Norse religion and the Christian church. I like how much she used real history and events to make up the story but still had fantasy elements. 

I probably won't bother continuing with this series. 


3 stars

My thanks go to Netgalley and Head of Zeus for providing me with this copy for review.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment