Monday 5 September 2022

Unraveller by Francis Hardinge

Pages: 496 

Publisher: Macmillan 

Released: 2nd of September 2022 

Kellen and Nettle live in a world where anyone can create a life-destroying curse, but only one person has the power to unravel them. But not everyone is happy he can do so and, suddenly, he’s in a race to save both himself and all those who have been touched by magic…

A spell-binding new tale from the master of speculative fiction.



What I Have so Say 

What I love most about Frances Hardinge, is how creative she is. She creates stories that no one else would think of. She creates fantasies that are unique and beautiful and just so fun to read. I'm sure there are other authors out there who are just as good, but I haven't found any who intrigue and compel me as much as her. 

I think I did my disservice reading this book though, because I went into it wanting it to be as good as Cuckoo Song, but can anything really be as good as Cuckoo Song? I tried to focus on the good stuff though and there was certainly a lot there. 

I loved the relationships between the characters, especially later in the book with certain reveals and with the cursers having more of a role. Nothing is as it seems in this book and the relationships were strained and tested during the process and it really showed the beauty of those relationships. 

There are so many different ways of being in this book. Whether it was cursed or curser or the unique case of Kellen being an Unraveller. Then there were the people in the shallow wilds and the deep wilds who were touched by the wilds in different ways. In many ways, this book was a celebration of what it  means to read this book. 

This is a really long review but I want to just touch on one more subject. If anyone is worried about agoraphobia, I have it pretty bad and this book didn't really bother me. I think the descriptions of the little brothers was well managed and written in a sensitive way. I don't want to say you'll be fine picking up this book with a fear of spiders, but don't let it put you off. Though the little brothers and their curse eggs are at the heart of this story, they only feature in a few scenes. 


My thanks go to Netgalley and Macmillan for providing me with this copy for review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment