Monday 10 July 2023

My Week With Him by Joya Goffney

Pages: 400 

Publisher: Hot Key Books 

Released: 11th of July 2023 

Nikki's always had a difficult relationship with her mum. So when she finds herself homeless at the start of spring break, she decides to rage-quit Texas and give California a shot, to pursue her dream music career.

Until her best friend and long-time crush, Malachai, discovers her plan, and convinces her to spend spring break with him, so he can show her all the reasons she should stay in Texas.

But when Nikki's little sister goes missing their plans are interrupted, and Nikki is forced to face her feelings about both her mum and Mal. Can Nikki find the love she's always been missing? And will it be enough to convince her to stay in Texas?

TW: Abuse 

What I Have to Say 

While I didn't enjoy this as much as Confessions of an Alleged Good Girl, it definitely had the cute romance plot with series issues behind it that I found good about the first book. The masterful way that Goffney weaves the seriousness of the abuse scenes in between the sweet romance just has me in awe. 

I love how wholesome Goffney's male love interests are. Although I thought for a while that the plot would be Nikki choosing between love and her career, I was glad to see that as we got further into the book, Malachai got more supportive of her. It's really nice to see these cute boys who know how to treat the women in their lives. 

I really liked the ending of this book too. It was really uplifting. Can't wait for the next Joya Goffney book! 


4 stars 

My thanks goes to Hot Key Books and Netgalley for providing me with this copy for review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment