Monday 17 July 2023

How to Die Famous by Benjamin Dean

Pages: 383 

Publisher: Simon and Schuster Children's UK 

Released: 20th of July 2023 

From award-winning author Benjamin Dean comes a deliciously dark and addictive YA thriller following the lives of Gen Z’s rich and famous through the lens of an undercover teen journalist. Perfect for fans of A Good Girl's Guide to Murder and One of Us is Lying . 

London-born Abel has landed the role of a lifetime for an upcoming blockbuster. On the face of it he’s Hollywood’s latest teen star, but below the surface he’s an undercover journalist on a mission to expose the ‘squeaky clean’ entertainment industry and the part they played in his brother’s ‘accidental’ death.

As Abel steps into the spotlight alongside fellow actors Lucky, Ryan and Ella, he soon discovers that beneath the glittering surface of fame and riches lies a darker world of secrecy, scandal and murder. Nobody is who they seem when the cameras are off, and everybody has something to hide. But who’s next in line to die famous? 

Drawing on his previous career as a celebrity journalist, Benjamin Dean examines the dark underbelly of showbiz, leaving no stone unturned.

What I Have to Say 

It's always fun to come across a book that reminds me of everything I love about YA. How to Die Famous is definitely one of these books. With four queer protagonists embroiled in a manipulative industry, it doesn't hold back in showing the dark side of Hollywood. 

I loved the four characters so much. I think Ella and Ryan were my favourites because I'm always a sucker for a Sapphic couple. Abel was probably the character I liked the least, but I still liked him a lot. Each character was strong and had their own issues going on, but they were so strong together. 

The ending was clever, as all mystery endings should be. I guessed some stuff, but there was still plenty to surprised me. 

Read for a great mystery and fantastic characters! 

4 stars 

My thanks go to Netgalley and Simon and Schuster for providing me with this copy for review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment