Monday 11 January 2016

Gathering Voices by Kris Humphrey

Synopsis (from Netgalley

Pages: 224
Publisher; Stripes Publishing
Released: 7th of January 2016 

When a raven drops a white feather at the doorstep on the day of your birth, it is a symbol of your destiny. You are a Whisperer – a guardian of the wild. 
The war against the shape-shifting Narlaw is raging. Mika and her Arctic fox companion, Star, must travel from their distant mountain home to join Dawn and the other Whisperers at the palace. The journey is fraught with danger and the outlook for the kingdom of Meridina is bleak, but Mika has discovered a gift that might just change their fortunes. Could she hold the key to defeating the Narlaw?


What I Have to Say 

I'm really enjoying this series. It's cute and the power to talk to animals has been a thing I have loved reading about since childhood. But there are too many Whisperers. Every book is introducing more and more and though I really love Mika and Star, I'm finding that I miss some of the Whisperers from the earlier books.  The only one we've gone back to in this book is Dawn and as much as I like her, I find myself wondering why they don't mention all the other Whisperers that are knocking about in the palace. 

I'm also wanting to know more about the setting. There seem to be so many little cultures with slight differences that we just don't see for that long because the characters from that part of the story are all leaving their homes. In the last book Tuanne was the most interesting part, because her way of life was so different and she was having to adapt. We need more of that. 

I seem to have only talked about problems in this review, but I really am loving the series. I love the characters and their companions and their fight against the Narlaw. I just want more of it. More detail, more explanations of the culture. Just more. 




No comments:

Post a Comment