Monday 4 January 2016

Moth Girls by Anne Cassidy

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 304
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Released: 7th of January 2016

Helplessly drawn like moths to the light, two girls go missing in an evocative and gripping tale . . .

They called them the Moth Girls because they were attracted to the house. They were drawn to it. Or at least that is what is written in the newspapers that Mandy reads on the anniversary of when her two best friends went missing. Five years have passed since Petra and Tina were determined to explore the dilapidated house on Princess Street. But what started off as a dare ended with the two girls vanishing. As Mandy's memories of the disappearance of her two friends are ignited once again, disturbing details will resurface in her mind.

What I Have To Say 

Anne Cassidy writes great stories. Her plots keep me wanting to read on and know what happens next, I love the fact that with Moth Girls, it was really hard to guess what had happened to the two girls. 

 I do find her writing style a bit simplistic though. With Looking For JJ, I found I didn't notice it so much and I think that the fact that a lot of the story was told through the point of a young child's point of view helped somewhat. But with Moth Girls, even the 12-year- old flashbacks felt a little off-putting, 

It didn't stop me enjoying the story too much though. I especially found the relationship between the three twelve-year-olds interesting and realistic. It added a lot of reality to the story and rounded out the older version of Mandy. 

If you like mystery and realistic portrayals of childhood trauma this is a good choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment