Monday 18 January 2016

How Not To Disappear by Clare Furniss

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Pages: 400
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Released:  31st of December 2015

Hattie's summer isn't going as planned. Her two best friends have abandoned her: Reuben has run off to Europe to "find himself" and Kat's in Edinburgh with her new girlfriend. Meanwhile Hattie is stuck babysitting her twin siblings and dealing with endless drama around her mum's wedding.

Oh, and she's also just discovered that she's pregnant with Reuben's baby...

Then Gloria, Hattie's great-aunt who no one previously knew even existed comes crashing into her life. Gloria's fiercely independent, rather too fond of a gin sling and is in the early stages of dementia.

Together the two of them set out on a road trip of self-discovery – Gloria to finally confront the secrets of her past before they are wiped from her memory forever and Hattie to face the hard choices that will determine her future.

What I Have to Say 

This book had me sobbing. I loved it so much. I think that having two story lines, one past, one present, is one of my favourite styles of writing, because you get two interlocking stories that both have their own excitement and tension. There were so many mysteries and cliff hangers created by Gloria's telling of her story as well. It kept me wanting to read on and find out the whole story. 

I adored Gloria so much. She was just the kind of quirky, bad tempered old woman that you love to read about and are so glad not to have in your family. It didn't take me as long as Hattie to warm to her and her very specific way of living. 

Gloria's story was so sad, and drawing parallels between it and Hattie's story was a great way to show how hard it was for a young woman getting pregnant in the 50s compared to now. It showed how many more options, young mothers have these days and it was really nice to see Hattie's reaction to it. 

This book really touched me and I hope that you'll all read it and enjoy it as much as I did. 


No comments:

Post a Comment