Sunday 2 September 2018

It Ends With You by S. K. Wright

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Pages: 256
Publisher: Atom
Released: 6th of September 2018 

'If I'd told the truth, it would have been fiction'

Everyone loves Eva. Beautiful, bright, fun, generous - she's perfect.

So when her dead body is found in a ditch in the local woods the only thing anyone wants to know is: Who could have done this?

It has to be Luke, her boyfriend. He has the motive, the means, the opportunity and he's no stranger to the police.

Even though the picture is incomplete, the pieces fit. But as time passes, stories change.

What I Have to Say 

I took a while to really get going with this book, but it certainly was an interesting look at secrets, lies and prejudice. The way that from the start the police are so fixated on Luke, a boy from a less well off family, with scruffy clothes and a perchance to get into fights. But as it goes on, you see that what seems to be a basic case of prejudice and profiling, may actually be being used to cover up more involvement. 

Though in general, I liked the twists and turns the story came up with, there were maybe just a bit too many. Every time it seemed like we might be getting an idea of what happened, some startling new evidence came out to change everything. I liked this at first, but I really like a mystery where you can look back afterwards and see that there are clues you missed and that it all adds up and makes sense. With this one, there were new suspects added all the time and it meant that you couldn't really work out to tell who it was. 

I liked the different view points though and the insight that they threw up. How we saw the investigative side with Carolina and her father and also the suspect's point of view with Luke. Then there's the opinions of the other people in Eva's life and how they react to everything. It really worked well with the allegations against Luke and showing how people's opinions get set very early on. 

I don't think this is one I'd read again, but I'm glad I read it. 


My thanks go to Netgalley and Atom for providing me with this copy for review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment