Sunday 23 September 2018

Songs About a Boy by Chris Russell

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 400
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Released: 2nd of August 2018 

Just as Charlie allows herself to succumb to Gabe's charms, the explosive revelation about her mother's death threatens to pull them apart.

Meanwhile, a media circus has exploded around the future of Fire&Lights - when they announce a US tour to show the world that they are stronger than ever, Charlie gets the opportunity to accompany them. New York City, here she comes! But it's not all fun and games. Charlie is still feeling all kinds of awkward around Gabe and knowing that her mother's last days were in America touring with her band, Charlie uses the opportunity to uncover some more truths about her mother's death.

As Fire&Lights try to win over the world again, and as Charlie and Gabriel uncover the true story that links their pasts, will Charlie finally be able to follow her heart?

What I Have to Say 

This series has been such a joy to read. There's something about it that makes me feel warm and cosy, each book something to sink into like a nice cosy blanket. It's dramatic and emotional, but it's still like an old friend that you can feel comfortable reading about. I love books like that. It makes reading them a real pleasure. 

I don't know much about One Direction, but I've seen some people calling this One Direction fanfiction. There's nothing wrong with fanfiction at all, but I do feel that calling is really overlooking Charlie, because yes it's a story about Fire and Lights, but more than that, it's Charlie's story. Everything is centred around her and the mystery of her mum. Charlie is such a beautiful character, driven, talented and a really great person. I love how much the band adores her and make her feel like she's a really integral part of the team. 

The band is beautiful. Yuki is wonderful and Aiden too, I really liked. The dynamic of Ollie and Gabriel was a dramatic conflict, but Yuki and Aiden were a really amazing part of the band. 

I love these characters so much and the story was a wild ride of dramatic twists and turns. Chris Russell's habit of ending each book on a sudden twist was frustrating in the best possible way, but I can forgive him for that. 

I can't wait to see what he does next. 


My thanks go Netgalley and Hodder for providing me with this copy for review. 

5 comments:

  1. "wild ride of dramatic twists and turns. " we all love some great twist in a book, will give this more a checkout. And the fact that you rated this book a 5 star, oh yes, may have earn a spot in my tbr too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know what you think when you read it! Be prepared for some twists on the last page of the book that make you need to rush out and get the sequel right away though!

      Delete
  2. I think I got the first one on Netgalley, been wanting to read them for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so cute! I love that it's being described as 1D fan fic haha. Not really my thing, but I do love a good contemporary!

    ReplyDelete